The following topics are on the agenda for the Thursday, August 22nd, 2019 @ 4:00 p.m. Meeting of the Saskatoon Board of Police Commissioners in Committee Room E at Saskatoon City Hall.
- Presentations and discussion on community safety from:
- Caswell Community Association
- Montgomery Place Community Association
- Saskatoon Crisis Intervention Service
- Saskatoon Community Clinic
- Mount Royal Community Association
- Saskatoon Tribal Council
- Pleasant Hill Community Association
- Request for funding increase from Saskatoon Crisis Intervention Services and others
- Mid-Year Finance Report from Saskatoon Police Service
- Research Report on Supervised Consumption Site in Saskatoon
Saskatoon Board of Police Commissioners:
Roles and Responsibilities
The Police Commission provides oversight with the Saskatoon Police Service, where the Commission holds the responsibility of ensuring the community is served by a reasonable standard of law enforcement. In order to accomplish this, the Commission is mandated to ensure the Saskatoon Police Service has access to adequate and reasonable resources.
Another important Police Commission role is to act as a conduit between the community and Saskatoon City Council. The Commission recommends an annual Police Service operating budget to City Council and confers with the community about issues that are germane to policing and public safety.
The Police Commission operates under the auspices of the Saskatchewan Provincial Police Act in accordance with its Governance Policy.
The Saskatoon Board of Police Commissioners is comprised of the Mayor, two members of Saskatoon City Council and four members of the Public. Find more information here.
The public is welcome to attend Police Commission meetings and to address the Saskatoon Board of Police Commissioners’ public meetings. Find more information here.
The Public Complaints Commission is a five-person, non-police body appointed by the Saskatchewan government. It is responsible for ensuring that both the public and the police receive a fair and thorough investigation of a complaint against the police or an investigation of a possible criminal offence by a police officer. Additional information is available here.